Given that we’re saving for our wedding, some things have got to give; those things include frivolous purchases like another pair of shoes I don’t need but we’re also trying to cut down on eating out/take aways/nights out – which is mega hard especially as we live in town! I’m trying to keep myself occupied and I find myself taking on more and more DIY projects in the flat. The flat, as I’ve said, is a blank whitewashed canvas and I’m being increasingly drawn to colourful flashes here and there. My next DIY was influenced by a throw that I was bought by some good friends for my last birthday and I thought I’d take some of the brightness of the colours and spruce up an old IKEA lack table that I was given by my mum!
You know by now that painting is my preferred DIY of choice, I mean; it’s cheap and quick – what else do you need? So I popped to Wilkos ready to buy some bright, in-your-face paint. My luck was in and 3 Dulux sample pots were on offer for £1. That’s right, a whole £. I went all out and chose Raspberry Bellini; I don’t do things by half.
I didn’t want to paint the whole table, I’m brave but not that brave so I decided to just paint the table-top. Made even easier by the unscrewable legs of the table. Early one Saturday, I headed armed with old newspapers and a brush and painted the table top – it took me about 30 minutes, not too shabby. I left to dry for a few hours and then painted a second coat. It didn’t look half bad.
Even Chris was impressed.
How great are the cushions? £3.25 and they go perfectly with my new(look) table. Good show Wilkos.
I’ve got a few more home DIYs coming up, so be warned!
( Disclaimer: I hate the word upcycled but I lacked inspiration!)
I’ve come over all Kirstie Allsop recently and thought I’d share it with you all, mainly because I suspect that this is just a phase and I’ll tire pretty quickly so enjoy this while it lasts!
When we moved into the flat, the previous owners had left some bedroom furniture and having loads of other things to spend money on we thought that we’d make do with the wardrobes, chest of drawers and bedside table; it was in good condition and looked alright. Note that alright. It was a kind of pine, kind of nothingness and I made do but I always kind of had a plan to do something with them, unfortunately it took me a year to get round to it but hey, I did it.
I knew I wanted to paint the furniture, although it’s ubiquitous I love the kind of shabby chic look so that’s what I decided to go for; and then the streaks wouldn’t matter-because it’s meant to be like that.
I applied primer first of all because I knew the furniture had been treated. That I just slapped on with a roller and left to dry for a couple of hours. Next up was the exciting stuff, the paint! We’d opted for a pale duck egg from the Laura Ashley range, in honesty, it’s probably a bit pale for me but I have to compromise sometimes and I think it looks fab. And it was worth paying more for the paint, it went on dead easy and a little bit really does go a long way so it’s worth the money. We bought the 0.75L, and we’ve painted a chest of drawers and a bedside table – there’s still a bit left to get going on the wardrobe. I knew I wanted to get some different knobs to replace the others that I had binned when I got a bit happy with the screwdriver so I headed to Bombay Duck and found these lovelies. In hindsight, they’re a bit too big for a bedside table but they look good, I learned from experience however and bought these for the chest of drawers.